We’re a great place to work!
We’re an equal opportunity organization and believe a diverse staff helps us better serve our clients.
The following position is currently available.
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
The Jewish Community Association of Greater Phoenix (dba Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix (JFED)) is the parent organization of two other related nonprofits – The Ina Levine Jewish Community Campus and the Valley of the Sun Jewish Community Center (JCC).
All three organizations are located in Scottsdale Arizona and have combined revenues of $14 million dollars.
Reporting to the CEO’s of the JFED and JCC, the CAO will define the process and implement the infrastructure/systems needed to support growth and the activities of the JCA. She or he will continue to build and manage effective and streamlined administrative/financial systems, including financial, accounting, legal, information technology (IT), human resources (HR), and physical infrastructure.
The CAO must juggle the competing demands of all organizations for timely preparation of financial data as well as providing guidance to department heads on trends and risks to their budgets.
As a member of the senior management team, the CAO will be involved in strategic planning, forecasting, evaluation of monthly results, and professional development initiatives.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Review and approve preparation and finalization of monthly and annual financial reporting materials including cash flow forecasts and metrics for finance committees and boards of directors.
- Meet on a regular basis with Finance Committees.
- Oversee annual budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for each organization.
- Meet with department heads to provide guidance and assist in evaluating monthly results.
- Drive annual budget cycles for the three organizations.
- Manage cash flow driving collections for Federation pledge process.
- Manage seven member team including HR, IT and accountants.
- Coordinate all audit activities.
- Coordinate and manage the changing of the JCC Fiscal Year.
- Provide oversight for ongoing pledge payments.
Administrative Leadership and Management
- Serve as a business partner to the CEO’s on each organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes—including HR, payroll, and benefits functions—with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
- Interface and provide direction to outsourced IT staff. Implement new financial and membership management system for JCC.
- Ability to interface closely with major donors and the members of the BOD.
The CAO will have at least five to ten years of senior professional experience, including managing the finance and administration of a multifaceted organization with minimum revenues of $10 million (preference given to nonprofit experience). She or he will have experience creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing organizational change in a highly entrepreneurial organization.
The CAO will have the following experience and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Accounting
- CPA desirable
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP and Blackbaud software desirable
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the nonprofit sector
- Experience should include interfacing / directing legal, audit, compliance, budget, and resource development
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems
- Ability to plan for and participate in Board and Officer meetings for both the JFED and JCC
- Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and accounting
- Technologically savvy, with an ability to point to examples of having worked with IT staff to develop and implement new processes and systems that increased efficiency in a fast-moving environment
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a shared commitment to the organizations goals.
- Knowledge of investment strategies.